Friday, December 3, 2010

Freewrite Friday- Our Jesse Tree

There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse,
and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit.
Isaiah 11:1

This advent season our family will be doing the Jesse Tree devotions each day in December until Christmas morning. Each daily devotion goes through the Bible chronologically, highlighting major events that lead to Christ's birth, starting with creation and ending with Christ's birth. Each day has a corresponding ornament that can be put on the tree.
I purchased the devotional a few years ago but the kids were too young and I couldn't keep it together. Not only that, the ornaments needed to be cut out and colored and that was just way too crafty for me (I know, pathetic). So, this year I was so on the ball and prepared way ahead of time. I found this homeschooling family that makes these beautiful felt ornaments to go along with the devotional and I was sold. We are three days in and the kids love it. Jesse loves that he has a tree bearing his name. I love that we are focusing on how everything in the Word points to Jesus. It is our hope that our kids will recognize the name of Jesus whispered throughout this Christmas season and in every other day throughout the year.
Here is a sampling of our tree and the amazing ornaments:





Day One- Creation



Day Two- Sin enters the World



Day Three Noah's Ark



A sampling of future ornaments

2 comments:

Magpie Designz said...

cute idea!

Anonymous said...

How did you make the ladder? I am assigned to bring 25 of that piece for our group's Jesse Tree party and I am stumped how to craft one that will look nice. I am open to buying them too if I knew a source. Thanks for any suggestions.
Beverly