Saturday, May 7, 2011

Through new eyes

I recently loaned the book Where the Sidewalk Ends from the library.  You remember that one, don't you? 
I loved it as a child and had most of the poems memorized.  I couldn't wait to read it to Jesse and Karis.
As I read it to them, I found myself laughing out loud at the poems I thought were funny as a child and apparently, still do!  They both enjoyed them but Karis seemed to enjoy them more.  She also laughs out loud and is able to pick up some of the irony in the poems.  I think she is my budding literary enthusiast (heart swell!).  But as fun as it is to share this piece of my childhood with them, I am finding myself enjoying the poems in whole new way.  I don't think I have picked the book up since I was a child and so it is interesting to read it through my "adult" lenses. 
Here's one I never really noticed as a child but now I read it and can see the beauty and simplicity of it:

Poor Angus (By Shel Silverstein)

Oh what do you do, poor Angus,
When hunger makes you cry?
"I fix myself an omelet, sir,
Of fluffy clouds and sky."

Oh what do you do, poor Angus,
When the winds blow down the hills?
"I sew myself a warm cloak, sir,
Of hope and daffodils."

And who will you love, poor Angus,
When Catherine's gone from the moor?
"Ah, then, sir, then's the only time
I think I'm really poor."

What are your favorite Shel Silverstein poems?  I would love to hear your memories!




2 comments:

Magpie Designz said...

Sick Day! Not sure if that's what title is, but I remember the sick day poem. I love that book :) I can imagine Karis cracking up right now!

5th Belle Avenue said...

Wow, that really is a powerful poem! This is making me want to dig out my copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends. Invitation is a favorite of mine.